‘Walking to Jerusalem’ Details a Lengthy Expedition in the Name of Palestinians

Justin Butcher details his journey to Jerusalem using a mixture of live performance and video footage.

Emer Tyrrell Theatre Editor

Dublin Theatre Festival is a definite highlight of Ireland’s cultural calendar. However, with a re-run of Playboy, a nod to Beckett, some Marina Carr magic and a spotlight on Dublin Youth Theatre, at first glance, the festival almost makes our small corner of the world feel that bit smaller. We can enjoy these Irish masterpieces any given year, right? Well, Justin Butcher and the team behind Walking to Jerusalem, which will be staged in the New Theatre, may just prove me wrong.

In 2017, when working with human rights charity the Amos Trust, Justin Butcher walked from London to Jerusalem between November and June, as part of the “Just Walk to Jerusalem” initiative. Each step was taken in sympathy with, and to seek futher equality for, the Palestinian people. The timing of this surge of activism was far from accidental: 2017 marked the centenary of the Balfour Declaration, the 50th year of Isreal’s military occupation of the Palestinian territories and the 10th year of the blockade of Gaza.

Accompanied by a video montage of live footage from the trail, crafted by award-winning creatives Damian Hale and David Shepherd, Butcher retraces every step, oasis and bump in the road in front of a live audience. From October 1st, he sets out once again to take theatre-goers on a journey. Butcher’s audience will witness, both through film and live performance, the details of his expedition.

The combination of live performance and projected film allows Butcher to convey his experience in a full, fleshed-out manner. The film aspect of the piece allows the director to present the minutiae of daily life on the trail, while Butcher’s on-stage performance provides a real, physical point of reference.

Whether the mission resonates with you or not, allow yourself access to the experience. And for perhaps one of the few times throughout this festival, afford yourself the opportunity of escaping Dublin – even if only in spirit and only for a while.

Walking to Jerusalem will run from October 1st to 6th. Tickets are €25 or €20 for concessions and can be bought online at the Dublin Theatre Festival box office.