Hamilton and John Stearne Libraries to Re-Open on Reduced Hours

The two libraries have been closed since January.

Emer Moreau and Cormac Watson
Andrew Murphy for The University Times

The Hamilton and John Stearne libraries are to re-open under reduced operating hours from April 6th, the library announced today.

The two libraries are currently closed, with the Berkeley, Lecky and Ussher (BLU) open on reduced hours with pre-booking required.

In an email to staff and students, librarian and College archivist Helen Shenton said: “We are pleased to be reopening the John Stearne Medical Library and the Hamilton Library.”

The Hamilton will open from 1pm to 5pm from Monday to Friday, with Click and Collect services available from 1pm to 3pm and no counter services available. The John Stearne Medical Library will be open to students from 12pm to 4pm on weekdays, again with no counter services.

All other Library spaces will remain on their current opening hours, with no counter service, Shenton added. The BLU complex is open to readers from 1pm to 5pm only. Kinsella Hall, which is normally open 24 hours a day, will be accessible from 8am to 10pm.

“The Scan on Demand and Postal Delivery services are continuing, as is the online Chat with us service. The Subject Librarian team is available for virtual consultations and electronic resources continue to be accessible remotely”, she said.

In a statement to The University Times, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union President Eoin Hand said: “We at TCDSU are delighted to see these spaces open. This is something we have been working on for a long time with library management to ensure that spaces can be provided for students whilst maintaining a high level of safety for staff and students.”

“Although the spaces are only opening for a short time each day, this is a step in the right direction and we will continue to work and lobby hard for the expansion of all student spaces, be them breakout or study.”

“Thank to the library staff and the Provost for proactively working TCDSU on this.”

Students who wish to use the library must currently book a space in advance, and cannot use the same space for longer than an hour and 45 minutes.

Last year saw Trinity’s libraries remain open for the Christmas break for the first time, closing only on Christmas day.

Earlier this year, the libraries closed early without notifying students, leaving some readers’ belongings locked inside overnight.

The libraries’ opening hours were due to be restricted the following day.

Last November, the libraries announced that students would have a 45-minute window to check-in to the libraries, otherwise forfeiting their pre-booked seat.

Concerns had been raised about students booking slots and then failing to show up.

New rules around the length of time students can spend indoors have sparked controversy in the school of chemical sciences, which cancelled in-person laboratory practicals due to the time constraints not allowing for enough time to complete practicals.