College Rejects Fellows’ Request to Change Term Start Dates

First years are set to return two weeks after all other students due to the late release of leaving certificate results.

Emma TaggartDeputy Editor
Emer Moreau for The University Times

Trinity has rejected a proposal put forward by the Fellows which would have seen all students return to College on September 27th, rather than having a separate start date for first years as planned.

The letter said that the Fellows – a group of esteemed Trinity academics with a significant role in College governance – are “deeply concerned” about the effect that this decision could have on “the welfare of academic and professional staff”.

But Trinity’s “Living With COVID” group has said that the two start dates will not be changed.

In an email statement to The University Times, Trinity Media Relations Officer Catherine O’Mahony said: “The Trinity Living with Covid Working Group has accepted and confirmed the recommendation from COLSAG (Continuation of Learning and Student Activities Group) not to adopt the proposal from the Fellows and IFUT regarding a common semester start date of 27 September 2021 for all students.”

“While the Fellows and IFUT put forward strong arguments for a common start date”, O’Mahony said, “after extensive consultation across College, and in particular with Schools, SU, and GSU, the overwhelming majority felt that the disadvantages outweighed the advantages”.

“The principal reasons for this decision were that continuing and PG students had been notified since June of the 13 September start date and that a change would throw their plans into disarray.”

Furthermore, “the majority of staff and students did not want post-Christmas exams, that this late change would add considerable stress to the run up to Semester 2 and that the benefit of the later start date for the public health situation on campus was uncertain”.

The Fellows had proposed that all students start on September 27th, with reading week taking place on the week of November 8th.

They had requested that exams take place the week of January 10th, 2022, with the Christmas break taking place as per the College Calendar. Foundation Scholarship (Schols) exams and the publication of Christmas exams results would both take place the week of January 17th.

College announced in June that freshers’ week will take place the week of September 20th, with first years to start classes the week after – two weeks later than all other students.

Students will begin semester one on September 13th, but due to the late release date of leaving certificate results, first years will start on September 27th.