Zoo’s Clues: DU Players’ Annual Murder Mystery Takes a Beastly Turn

The drama society's annual detective night out returned this year with a zoological backdrop.

Raman MalashchankaContributing Writer
DU Players

This year’s annual DU Players Murder Mystery followed a much-anticipated return to in-person events for the society. In fact, like most events held this week, this was one of the society’s first in-person events in the Players’ building in nearly two years. Although tickets – which rapidly sold out – were limited, the humble numbers did not take away from the excitement, and the evening turned out to be a refreshing mix of socialising, and mystery solving.

The participants’ excited chatter reduced to a soft whisper as we found ourselves transported to a zoo. This was no ordinary zoo, as we were quickly acquainted with its inhabitants: nine animals in wonderfully elaborate costumes, including a giraffe, a chicken and a polar bear.

Suddenly, the lights went out. Screaming, flashes and ominous music ensued. To everyone’s dismay, our chicken friend was dead! Cause of death? Murder. This was rather helpfully clarified at a later stage by a very charismatic, yet questionably qualified detective-cum-zookeeper who had entered the room donning a cowboy hat.

At this stage the animals took their positions at stalls dotted around the room, and the participants eagerly got up off their seats. The tense anticipation ceased and an atmosphere of sheer joy permeated the air. Cheers and laughter drowned out the hushed silence, and cameras started to flash. There was a real sense of liberation and joie de vivre, as people finally got an opportunity to socialise, having been deprived of such occasions for so long. As I mixed in with the crowd and spoke to the participants about the fruits of their detective work, I couldn’t help but think that there was no better way to spend a Tuesday evening.

As the evening roared on, the energy did not dwindle and spirits stayed high. The search for truth in this high-profile murder case was interrupted occasionally by our zookeeper detective, who shouted from the balcony and offered vital clues. With every clue, another piece of the puzzle fell into place.

Walking around now as a “detective” of sorts, I couldn’t help but be increasingly impressed by Players for creating such a clever plot and thought-provoking clues, and for providing the various animals with alibis that were just complex enough to keep everyone guessing. Everyone in attendance was on their toes until the very end, and everyone I spoke to had an entirely different theory as to the reason for the fate of our chicken friend.

It was fantastic to see the genuine enthusiasm of the participants, and the friendly and inclusive environment to which everybody contributed. No one was left standing on their own, and everyone seemed to be engrossed in detective or other equally thrilling conversation throughout the event.

Nearing the end of the evening, hushed silence and anticipation filled the room as our detective zookeeper mounted and took his position standing atop a chair. A brave, magnifying glass-wielding participant stood in front of the crowd and went through his clever theory before exclaiming: “It was the bunny!” Our detective gave the verdict – not guilty. The criminals were actually the giraffe and tiger, who were promptly escorted out of the room by our detective.

All in all, Players’ murder mystery event was a smash hit. The crowd was with it until the very end, our animal friends did not break character once, and all of the organisers were on hand and very helpful throughout the evening. Everything went off without a hitch, and everyone left satisfied and with a massive smile on their faces. The organisers outdid themselves with this grand return to in-person events.