Chapters Bookshop to Close Next Year

The shop has been a staple of Dublin for 40 years.

Niamh O'DonnellContributing Writer

Dublin bookstore Chapters is to close next year after 40 years of trading.

Last week, the bookshop announced that it will be closing its doors permanently in early 2022.

Chapters is located on Parnell St, where book lovers are presented with two floors of new and second-hand books. The bookshop has been particularly renowned for its large second-hand book selection, which allows customers to sell books and purchase bargain books.

The bookshop took to Twitter to announce the news: “After 40 years in business @chaptersbooks will close its doors early in 2022.” Owner William Kinsella expressed “a sincere thank you to you all for your custom over 40 years in business”, on behalf of the shop’s staff.

Trinity’s Literary Society responded to the news on Twitter, saying: “This is a huge loss for Dublin and the LitSoc society. Chapters is loved by so many of our members and we are sad to hear it’s closing.”

Irish children’s author Derek Landy shared memories of Chapters online after hearing the news. He wrote: “I used to shop in Chapters every week. I LOVED second-hand bookstores – still do. You never know what gem you’ll find hidden away on a shelf somewhere.”

The independent bookstore occupied several locations throughout its history but has been a prominent fixture of Dublin since 1983. Initially, it called Wicklow St its home before moving to Stephen’s Green. Chapters then made the move to north Dublin where it inhabited a shop on Henry St, and then Abbey St. Finally, it moved to its current location on Parnell St in 2006.

The shop is holding a major clearance sale, where customers can avail of two-for-one discounts on all items except bestsellers.