Five Up-And-Coming Dublin Artists You Should Follow on Instagram

If you're craving a new creative endeavour, these five Instagram accounts are sure to inspire.

Louisa Celine KlattDeputy Art Editor
@araucariaceramics

If, like me, the new year inspired you to get creative again, but procrastination has stopped you acting on it, here are five accounts to follow that will certainly make you want to pick up your pencil, paint brushes or knitting needles and overcome the initial hump.

@isitart_though
Juliette Quédec is an Irish-French contemporary painter who graduated from the National College of Art and Design (NCAD) in 2018 with a BA in Fine Art Painting and a MSc in Creative Advertising. Most recently, her work was exhibited in the Lost and Found exhibition at Universal Space studios. Her art aims to make complex topics such as depression and mental health issues more accessible. For instance, her work in the Shelter Domestics exhibition in 2020 used dark humour to explore feelings like shame and guilt around isolation and adult loneliness during the pandemic. Her Instagram account showcases a mixture of drawings and paintings, giving followers a peek into her studio.

@gilbertmenassa
The work of Dublin-based artist, Gilbert Menassa, is grounded in a linear grid and uses ink drawings and lino print to explore the power of something as simple as a line. This line, he says, “can dictate a direction, a limit, a boundary, but at the same time represent chaos, movement and fluidity”. Menassa’s new series, Polaroids, is about creating memories. Watercolour techniques are incorporated for a youthful effect. On his Instagram account, you’ll be mesmerised by how simple the idea is, but how many directions it takes, including spontaneous art on a coffee cup or a pair of Vans.

@orla_kelly
Orla Kelly is a visual artist with a degree in Fine Art Textile and Critical Cultures. She works with an array mediums, including paint, pastels, collage, digital drawing and, of course, textiles. Describing her art as “a documentation of thoughts, questions, observations, and responses to things I see or interact with everyday”, her Instagram account shows a mix of her art and glimpses into her life as an artist. Her work was most recently featured in the RDS Visual Arts Awards exhibition in the Royal Hibernian Academy and in the Irish Arts Review.

@araucariaceramics
Daniel Woodsmith is a ceramic designer with a studio based near the scenic Dublin mountains. Woodsmith originally worked as a chef before teaching himself pottery and has created tableware since 2017. Because of his background, he often collaborates with chefs in Ireland to create pottery that complements their culinary vision. On his Instagram account, you will see anything from the glazing process to the final product. And, in case you are wondering what inspired his username, araucaria (a·rau·care·e·ah) is the genus name of monkey puzzle trees, which are native to South America.

@mualamakes
Marion Weymes’ Instagram bio reads: “Weaving my way out of the desk job.” The self-taught textile artist and tapestry weaver took up weaving as a therapeutic hobby at first and now inspires her 13,000 followers with pastel colours and unique shapes that set her work apart from other artists. She shares both finished pieces and those that are a work in progress. If you want to dive deeper, you can check out her YouTube tutorial and learn how to make a simple coaster on a hand-held frame loom yourself.

If you’re feeling inspired now, why not sign up to one of Trinity’s own creative societies to kickstart your artsy endeavours. These include VisArts (@tcdvisarts), Trinity Arts Workshop (@trinityartsworkshop) and Trinity Arts Festival (@trinityartsfestival), which will take place in February.