Juggling, Crafting and a Pilgrimage to Workman’s: Your Week Ahead

Society life is well and truly back with some old reliables and new adventures.

Clara RocheDeputy Societies Editor

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, but if you’re unhappily single, it’s not too late. Find a date at any one of the societies’ club nights or coffee hours this week, or impress your existing beau with a new skill like juggling or knitting. Of course, if you’re not yet ready to mingle, gather your friends and dance the night away.

Monday

Have you ever found yourself stuck in a YouTube rabbit hole, watching video essays on the Crimean War or the fall of the Roman empire until the early hours of the morning? If so, now is your time to shine, because the College Historical Society (The Hist) will host a Derby of Rhetoric, in which attendees are invited to come and speak about any history-related topic for seven minutes. The event will take place in the Hist Convo of the Graduates Memorial Building (the GMB) at 3pm.

If you’re searching for a heartfelt Valentine’s Day present for that special someone, look no further than the TCD Knitting Society. Its weekly knitting class will take place at 6pm in the society’s room on the top floor of House Six. Now is the time to sharpen your skills and your knitting needles and make that perfect woolly jumper.

Tired of the talking stage? Skip a few steps and go straight to wedding preparation. DU Germanic Society is teaming up with DU Food and Drink for a stag and hen do in Doyle’s at 8pm. Come in your most suitable attire. Tickets cost €2 and will be on sale through a link on the society’s Instagram page.

Tuesday

At 6pm in the Uí Chadhain Theatre, the DU Metaphysical Society will welcome world-renowned political and economic theorist Michael Albert to deliver his talk, “A Vision for 21st Century Leftism”. Alternatively, viewers can tune in on Zoom.

And if 21st-century leftism makes you want to dance, join DUDJ in Workman’s at 10.30pm for its first event of the year. Tickets are available through a link on the society’s Instagram page. For the techno-averse and the ABBA fans amongst us, the society promises songs with words will be played.

Wednesday

A whole latte love will be in the air on Wednesday morning at 10am, as QSoc convenes for a Valentine’s Day crafting coffee hour in the GMB Eliz Room. Students of all gender identities and sexual orientations are welcome.

Be a sustainable king or queen and join the TCD Environmental Society at 12.30pm in Space 2 in the Atrium for an eco-friendly cosmetics workshop. Bring two small bottles, a small tin and a small jar, and get ready to make your own environmentally conscious makeup. Sign up through the email or through the society’s social media pages.

Thursday

Questioning this whole college thing? Thinking of running away to join the circus? Get one step ahead and join the Trinity Juggling and Circus Society at 6pm in Goldsmith Hall for its weekly workshop. No prior experience is required.

Later on, at 6pm in Room 3051 of the Arts Block, Dr Francis Ludlow will join the DU Archaeological Society for an interactive workshop entitled “Decoding Tree Rings as Evidence of Past Natural and Human Catastrophes”.

The Udoma Subcommittee of the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) will convene for its first annual Public Speaking Competition in the GMB at 7.30pm. The competition is aimed at students of colour who are interested in speaking about issues of race, discrimination, and related topics in the public sphere. Speeches can take any form, except debate, and the deadline for entering is Tuesday, February 8th, at 8pm.

Friday

Finally fulfil that new year’s resolution and work off a week of clubbing with the DU Yoga Society with its Hatha Yoga class at 10am, led by Linda. Hatha yoga is a branch of yoga that promotes strength and flexibility, as well as relaxation and mindfulness.

Alternatively, shake off the week’s excess energy with an intermediate Afro dance class with DU Dance Society, taking place at 5.30pm in Room 4050B in the Arts Block.