Five of the Best: Must-See Art Spots in Dublin

We compiled a list of underrated galleries and museums at the heart of Dublin’s artistic community.

Ella SmythArt Editor

If you’re an art lover like me, the start of the new term is a chance to return to the bustling hub of art and culture that Dublin has to offer. But, having already spent last year wandering the halls of The Hugh Lane and perusing the paintings of the National Gallery, I’m looking to broaden my horizons. Whether you’re new to Dublin or a long-term resident, this list will help you discover some of the quirkier, smaller art collections at the heart of Dublin’s art scene.

Molesworth Gallery

A traditional four-story Georgian house is the perfect home for this gallery’s beautiful contemporary art exhibits. Molesworth Gallery, founded in 1999, boasts exhibits stretching across two floors of the red-brick building. The gallery represents 20 of the most exciting up-and-coming Irish artists. Each year it holds a diverse range of exhibits, including eight solo shows as well as two curated group exhibits.

Chester Beatty

Nestled on the grounds of Dublin Castle, the Chester Beatty Library houses a unique collection of ancient art and manuscripts. The building is labelled as a library, but laid out like an art museum, with three atmospheric galleries. The library is the compilation of a single contributor, Alfred Chester Beatty, whose collection teems with rare historical items from Europe, Asia, North Africa and the Middle East. Only one per cent of the collection is on display at any given time and the exhibitions are constantly updated, meaning there is always something new to discover.

Kerlin Gallery

Hidden in a quiet alley off Grafton St, Kerlin Contemporary Art Gallery is an unexpected treasure. Its tiny exterior makes the bright and spacious art gallery upstairs a thrilling surprise. The gallery exhibits abstract art collections that range from the bold to the bizarre. In the past, the gallery has featured famous artists such as Andy Warhol and Hiroshi Sugimoto.

Photo Museum Ireland

In the heart of Temple Bar, Photo Museum Ireland is the hub of contemporary Irish photography. The gallery is compact but cosy and offers a range of rotating exhibits that spotlight the work of Irish and global photographers. The museum is fully fitted to include darkrooms and digital imaging facilities. It even offers workshops ranging from smartphone photography to darkroom printing, and it is a great resource for photographers looking to improve their skills.

Temple Bar Gallery and Studios

The exhibits in Temple Bar Gallery range from performance art to sculptures and paintings. The top floor of the building is composed of studios for local artists, while the ground floor gallery exhibits some of their most recent work. The gallery gives you a great insight into what is currently being made by Irish artists and is a great place to feel the heart of Dublin’s artistic community.