‘24 hour’ study space

Dear Sir,

I am sure that most of you are aware of the unexplained closure of the 24 hour study space during the Christmas break. I am also sure that students are aware that this isn’t the first time the supposed 24 hour study has been off limits for students. Already students are struggling to cope with the reduction in both library hours and services, now we have all study facilities withdrawn during the winter break.

Since the start of the year the SU has fought hard to get the study space reinstated and for the improvement of Library facilities however win a month the study space is closed and full library services on a Friday now end at 6pm. Did the College even think to seek the opinion of the student body?

I’m sure that the college will rely on their well worn excuse of a lack of funding in these recessionary times. Has the college even considered that the recession has hit students just as hard? Several of my close friends have to already juggle a part time job with college and home responsibilities. For all these students the 24 was the saving grace since the library now closes at 10pm weekdays and is no longer open Sundays at all (giving Ireland’s best college the nation’s worst library hours).

This begs the question, why is Trinity College Dublin trying to restrict student learning?

Yours Sincerely,

Darragh Haugh