Yes They Can

College has returned after Christmas and New Year’s and this paper hopes that you had a well earned break. For some though, they spent their holiday planning for the next few weeks in college. They were not preparing for their exams or catching up on their notes but rather getting their war machines ready for the upcoming Students’ Union elections.

This time every year those who have ambitions towards a sabbatical position manoeuvre for campaigners. They sit and speak of these campaigners as chattel that can be bought and sold as others drop out of the running and others join in. They ask each other how many Facebook friends they have in order to try and glean a guesstimate of each other’s support. Not exactly a foolproof method for triangulating support.

The University Times notes that each year the campaigns seem to be getting more professional as candidates try to outdo each other for the jobs. However, it seems this year we will have three uncontested races which seems strange when we consider the excellent experience gained as a student representative. Perhaps we will see more candidates    

This paper is looking forward to the campaign and although we have provided you with the rumours of who is running no one will know until the Education Officer reads out all the names of the candidates on the steps No 6. When that is done we will know that five of those names will appear in these pages as victorious.

We wish everyone well and look forward to seeing whoever will be taking over here next year at The University Times.