The hasty death of the 128

Peter Twomey

Before I first came to Trinity I was under the illusion that, like most universities, accommodation provided to first years would be situated on (or near) campus. It makes sense; unassuming first years locked up in the confines of a safe and stable on-campus abode, giving them time to learn the ways of the world in the absence of mummy and daddy. With a college like TCD, however, this is quite obviously intangible given its central location. So, as was decided about a hundred years ago, lodgings would have to be set up in the near-suburbs of Rathmines.

The 128, we hardly knew thee

Aligned with a good bussing service, Trinity Hall is a pretty accessible place to live. The 128 begins and ends adjacent to the apartment complex and runs very frequently. On weekday mornings, sleepy students have to wait a mere 10 minutes before their mechanical hero whisks them off to Nassau Street, while at night the bus comes and goes about every 20 minutes, delivering groups of scantily clad girls and cologne-drenched boys to their selected houses of sin. It’s a perfect system. Unfortunately, though, it appears, like all good things, the end is nigh for this humble route. After weeks of whispers and rumblings, Dublin Bus has announced its intention to merge the 128 and the 15, which will, in affect, cut off all access to Trinity Hall. And what about the far-less-frequent 14a? It too has been dealt the same cruel blow and will also cease to exist.

I am fully aware that a walk to college doesn’t really take that long, even less if you’re willing to cycle. You could probably leave Halls 50 minutes before your lecture and make it in on time with the added benefit of some charming pit-stains. Another alternative is to walk to Tesco and get picked up by a multitude of buses there, or else cram into a reasonably nearby Luas. But are these options truly fair? On arriving at Halls last September we were all informed of the best, easiest, cheapest, most comfortable way of commuting in and out to TCD; the 128. There is no need to end this service with mere months before term ends. Wait until the summer when us hapless first years move out and the incoming brigade are none-the-wiser to this grand monument of accessibility. Spare us the cold, wet mornings trudging through Rathmines and don’t give us another reason to skip lectures and stay in bed.

I get the feeling that the curators of the 128’s demise are not fully aware of how much we students appreciate the service that they provide for us. I’m certain that I’m not the only one who shivering-ly celebrates an incoming 128 at night time outside TCD or who enters into full-blown debates on which of the two Halls buses are better, weighing up the benefits and disadvantages of both. If Dublin Bus were made aware of the loyalty the 128 inspires to their otherwise repugnant company then perhaps they’d be less hasty in severing one of their most popular services.

Soon to become an all to familiar predicament

In a recent email, Brendan Tangney, wardon of Trinity Hall, assured us that there had been correspondence with Dublin Bus: ‘Both Hall and College are making formal representations to Dublin Bus as are local residents.’ He also stated that residents of Halls should too contact Dublin Bus to display their anger and frustration with the planned axing of the route: ‘It may help the cause if strong representation was also received from the residents of Hall.’ If anyone reading this cares enough about having the benefit of quick and easy access to Dublin city then you should write to http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Customer-Information/ and make your feelings known.

*update* Please sign the petition: www.petitiononline.ie/petition/save-the-128/75