Trinity’s Future is International

Halway through Michaelmas Term, Daniel O'Brien reflects on why international students flock to Trinity.

Daniel O’Brien ¦ Contributing Writer

With the start of every new school year, just around the end of summer, a large group of ambitiously chipper third-years leave Trinity with stars in their eyes (and considerably less cash in their pockets) to pursue academic exchange programs abroad. At the same time, however, another group of similarly star-struck students are adjusting to life in a foreign country, right here in Dublin.

In fairness, the vast majority of these globetrotting youths are simply here for semester or year-long exchange programs. It has become increasingly difficult, however, to ignore the growing trend of students looking beyond their own borders for full degree programs. According to a study by the Institute of International Education, the number of American students pursuing a degree in Ireland grew by over 8% from 2010 to 2012. Furthermore, nearly 68% of U.S. students pursuing degrees abroad do so in Anglophone countries, giving Trinity a clear advantage for attracting international students. Although the university has taken various steps to embrace this trend, the administration and student body still have yet to realize the school’s full potential as a global academic institution.

It is frankly embarrassing and inexplicable that an internationally recognized university such as Trinity can struggle to house even such a relatively small number of students.

For a university renowned for its history and traditions, a certain level of cultural inertia is understandable. It is also, however, highly regrettable. Encouraging more international students to pursue degrees at Trinity is simply a win-win situation for all parties involved. For the school itself, adopting a more global perspective will benefit not only its finances but more importantly its reputation. Trinity’s fall in recent world rankings is strongly linked to cuts in public funding. Attracting international students who are willing and able to pay full Non-EU fees can be a strong first step toward steadying the school’s finances. In the long term this financial stability would allow for a decrease in the ratio of students to academic staff as well as more funding for research, two areas that have been greatly affected by the recession. These types of factors play a large role in determining Trinity’s ranking in objective surveys as well as its reputation with employers and other universities.

Trinity’s most important resource, its student body, also stands to gain from attending a more globalized university. International students themselves would likely benefit the most; Americans, for example, could attend Trinity for about a third of the cost of a private university back home while receiving a standard of education on par with some of the most prestigious American schools. Irish students could be exposed to a wider range of cultures and backgrounds without necessarily having to spend thousands of euros and a year of their lives studying abroad. The higher fees paid by international students could also help check the growing financial burden faced by Irish students and their families.

If this university wants to make a meaningful statement about its commitment to a globalized future, it should start by massively overhauling its approach

Admittedly, the university has already taken several positive steps toward embracing globalization. The Global Relations Office in particular deserves praise for its efforts to recruit and later support international students, but it remains to be seen whether this year-old initiative can effect fundamental and lasting changes in the university’s culture. Perhaps the most pressing issue currently is the need for a major expansion of university housing. It is frankly embarrassing and inexplicable that an internationally recognized university such as Trinity can struggle to house even such a relatively small number of students. Even worse, the shortage of university housing hinders globalization efforts in a number of ways. Although virtually all non-Irish students are able to secure a spot in Halls during their first year, the majority of their Irish peers are not afforded the same luxury and instead remain at home or find rented accommodation in the city. This separation tends to reinforce a clique mentality that negates the social benefits of globalization for both Irish and international students. The shortage of housing also negatively affects the experience of short-term international exchange students, who can be forced to brave the nightmarish real estate market in a city whose culture and language is often not entirely familiar. If this university wants to make a meaningful statement about its commitment to a globalized future, it should start by massively overhauling its approach to student housing.

Trinity has a chance to firmly reestablish itself as a prominent player in the world of international education. It should fully commit to a globalized future and embrace the benefits such a future promises for the entire student body. For a university that is rightly lauded for its connection to the past, it is crucial not to neglect a clear plan for the future.