With Europe at a Crossroads, Younger Generations Must Reject Increasingly Polarising Forces

With populism and a lack of debate pervading political discourse, young people must fight back against increasing levels of fear and hate.

Simon FoyOpinion Editor
Sam McAllister for The University Times

It is not an overstatement to assert that the last few weeks have been the most turbulent, divisive and potentially damaging to the European project in recent decades. Britain’s decision to leave the European Union has been followed in the last week by another devastating terrorist attack on French soil and an attempted coup at the edge of the continent in Turkey. We are now living in the most destabilised and volatile period since the end of the Cold War.

Xenophobia and hate crimes are on the rise, support for populist parties has increased, and to trust the political class and “experts” is now seen as anathema.

On June 23rd, Britain voted to leave the European Union by a margin of 52 to 48 per cent. The vote, however, was deeply fragmented along both regional and demographic lines. Recent evidence suggests that turnout among 18 to 24-year-olds was around 64 per cent, and that those in this bracket voted overwhelmingly to remain.

With Euroscepticism on the rise and political discourse continuing to coarsen, young people must reject the politics of fear, hate and fantasy

With Euroscepticism on the rise and political discourse continuing to coarsen, young people must reject the politics of fear, hate and fantasy. The existence of a united and peaceful Europe hangs in the balance.

What Brexit laid bare was a strong anti-establishment and anti-politics sentiment that is now widespread throughout the West. This, to some extent, is understandable. The benefits of globalisation have not been felt in many communities, wages have stagnated since the financial crash of 2008 and economic growth indicators are not reflective of people’s living standards.

The blame, therefore, has been placed on social and Christian democratic governments which have been the dominant political forces in Europe since the end of the last century. Electorates are crying out for change. The alternatives, however, are far from ideal.

Last Thursday’s massacre in Nice by an Islamic fundamentalist was the third of its kind in France in the last 19 months and will again promote two overriding emotions: grief and fear. The attack must be seen as an attack on all Europeans, on our shared values and way of life. Buying into the divisive rhetoric espoused by Marine Le Pen and other far-right groups would be to do a disservice to the those who have been killed.

Le Pen, the leader of France’s National Front, looks increasingly likely to make it into the second round of French Presidential elections later this year. Having recently made gains in Austria and Italy, these movements are harnessing support by playing on people’s fears and by propagating an extreme nationalist and anti-immigrant agenda. A rejection of this type of the politics is paramount to the future success and prosperity of Europe as a whole.

The emergence of “safe spaces” in many Western universities in an attempt to counter such offensive views are not a solution, however. Universities should be hubs for intellectual debate and students shouldn’t hide away from confronting points of view with which they disagree.

On the other side of the spectrum, someone who has uttered such sentiments about supporting the politics of hope over the politics of fear is leader of the British Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn. To many, Corbyn is the most inept, incapable and divisive leader in Labour Party history. His appalling performance in the EU referendum campaign, among many other things, contribute to this view. To others, he is seen as a progressive icon and has cult-like support, particularly amongst young people.

The aggressive and threatening behaviour by some Corbyn supporters over the last few weeks, however, has shed light on just how divisive his type of politics is. Labour MPs opposed to Corbyn have received rape and death threats, a brick has been thrown through former challenger Angela Eagle’s constituency office window, and local party meetings have been cancelled due to fears of intimidation and abuse. When elected representatives feel they can no longer engage in public life and say what they want to, our democracies cannot function.

When elected representatives feel they can no longer engage in public life and say what they want to, our democracies cannot function

As tempting as it may be for some, younger generations must not buy into these polarised movements. The centre ground must now recapture the narrative and offer new sensible and positive policies. Economic growth must mean rising wages, schools and hospitals must be expanded to accommodate rising populations, affordable houses must be built and infrastructure must be invested in to promote growth.

In Ireland, we have been somewhat removed from the instability felt in other parts of Europe. Brexit has changed this, however. Although the consequences are yet unknown, with the three largest parties contemplating a poll on a “United Ireland”, stability could well be replaced with political turmoil.

Instead of dealing with issues of immediate importance such as how students can continue to study and how citizens can continue to live in both Ireland and the UK, our leaders are more concerned about staging a referendum that would ultimately fail, stir up sectarian tensions and potentially damage the Good Friday Agreement.

The future of the European project looks bleak. The union is the predominant reason for sustained peace on this continent for over 70 years. Politicians like Le Pen and Corbyn threaten its existence. Le Pen has recently stated that “the destiny of the EU resembles the destiny of the Soviet Union“, and despite campaigning for a remain vote, Corbyn and others on the left remain, at their heart, Eurosceptics.

Even though we are only a small country on the periphery of the bloc, we now have a significant role to play post-Brexit. A peaceful and united Europe is worth fighting for. Younger generations must champion that cause and not buy into the populism that pervades current political discourse.