Trinity Left to Rue Errors by Ruthless UCD in 8-1 Loss

Dublin University Association Football Club (DUAFC) were soundly beaten by rivals University College Dublin (UCD), bringing their unbeaten league run to an abrupt end.

Donal MacNameeContributing Writer
DUAFC photo

A day which began so brightly for Dublin University Association Football Club (DUAFC) ended in disappointment as they slumped to a heavy 8-1 defeat at the hands of city rivals University College Dublin (UCD). After scoring the opener, Trinity were left to rue defensive errors as the hosts ran riot in Belfield. Despite the final score, there were some positives in the performance.

DUAFC, unbeaten thus far in the College and Universities Football League, dominated the early exchanges and when Eoin Vaughan coolly slotted home after just 60 seconds, one could have been forgiven for predicting an easy victory for the hosts. Vaughan’s celebrations were cut short as the goal was ruled out for offside, but there was nothing UCD could do two minutes later, as Vaughan’s delicious cross was met at the back post by the head of Niall Mullen, leaving keeper Gavin Sheridan stranded.

DUAFC were clearly set up with a counter-attacking mindset, and seemed happy to cede possession to their opponents. UCD, however, appeared unable to break down Trinity’s stubborn defence, and the hosts were forced into an early change to try to tilt the game in their favour. Midway through the first half, Conor Cannon was sprung from the bench, his physicality immediately causing major problems for the back-line of DUAFC.

It was a set-piece which provided the equaliser. A rare moment of indiscipline from Brian Foley resulted in a free kick just outside the box. UCD’s Gary O’Neill curled it beautifully into the top left corner.

This was the beginning of the end for DUAFC. Up to this point they had managed the game well, but now their rivals started dominating the ball high up the pitch. It wasn’t long before UCD had a second, Cannon turning in a simple cross for the first of a superb hat-trick. Trinity couldn’t handle his strength and directness, and he soon turned provider, swinging in a deep cross which was stabbed home at the back post.

The floodgates were beginning to open, and DUAFC appeared totally unable to keep Cannon at bay. He scored the fourth within two minutes, gratefully stabbing home after Brian Smith could only palm a long-range effort into his path. He completed his hat-trick soon after in a goal almost identical to its predecessor.

It was a dejected Trinity side who emerged for the second half, yet they manfully set about their task, which at this point was to try to restore a degree of respectability to the scoreboard. For 20 minutes in the second half, they more than held their own, but frustration soon set in, and with it unforced errors. Two of UCD’s three second half goals were the direct result of DUAFC’s tired midfield players losing possession on the edge of their own penalty box. Daire O’Connor and Gregory Sloggett were the gleeful benefactors with two excellent strikes.

More salt was rubbed in the wounds for Trinity in the final minute, the ball somehow finding its way into the net yet again after a goalmouth scramble. Players and management alike were glad to hear the whistle sound to bring to an end their first defeat of the competition. The result leaves DUAFC in fourth place, still very much in with a chance of qualifying for the quarter-finals. However, they will need to significantly improve on today’s performance if they are to have any hopes of progressing.