Referendum for the Support of a €7 Million Student Centre Before the End of Term

In an addition to fundraising and a potential loan for the College, a new student levy introduced to fund the centre would introduced, only charging students that will get use out of the centre.

Christoper McMahon and Philip McGuinness

The planned introduction of a €7 million student centre will go to the student body for approval by way of referendum before the end of the academic year, according to Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President, Kieran McNulty.

The new student centre has been included in the Trinity’s new estates strategy unveiled late last year, and will see students paying a €30 student levy for about 20 years, explained McNulty in an interview with The University Times.

McNulty stressed that only students who “will get benefit or usage out of” the centre will pay for the centre. McNulty envisions the centre being built within the next five years, meaning that the majority of the current student body will not be paying the extra charge. Speaking at a meeting of TCDSU’s council on February 14th, McNulty said that “graduates up until 2019 don’t have to pay” for the centre through an increase of the student levy.

The new strategy has been developed in conjunction with Turnberry Consulting. The University Times revealed in April 2016 that a Turnberry Consulting report claimed that Trinity’s use of campus space has failed to reach its “maximum potential”. As it stands, Trinity remains one of the only Irish universities without a purpose-built student centre.

When asked about where other funding for the facility will come from McNulty explained that, so far, Trinity’s Development and Alumni office have agreed to help organise fundraising for the centre, but that College will need to take out a loan in addition to any donations.

Plans for the new student centre, as reported by The University Times last December, would include a number of break-out rooms for students, a retail unit, along with a venue and staging area accommodating 150 people. During a discussion at TCDSU’s council, McNulty confirmed that a referendum will be called at council on March 7th, following the confirmation that College are backing the initiative, and students will be asked to vote in the referendum in the two to five weeks following.

“The College has reached a deal with us so it just has to go through capitations”, McNulty confirmed at the council meeting, adding that they have yet to send the letter of agreement, but have agreed in principle. The Capitations Committee is made up of representatives from the five capitated bodies in College: TCDSU, the Graduates Students’ Union (GSU), the Central Societies Committee (CSC), Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC) and Trinity Publications.

In his officer report submitted to the union’s council, McNulty, who proposed the discussion item, stated that he was “very happy to announce that College has backed a student centre to be backed via referendum”. McNulty went on to explain the importance of this development for the student body: “I am very certain that this is a big win for the [union].”

He also explained that the student centre is going to be there to create a “space for students to go during the day”, and for the union and other events.

McNulty explained that should the referendum see approval from students, College has agreed to give 1,000 square meters of space for the centre, and that the space will most likely “be a remodel” of existing space in College.

The GSU have also lent their support for the proposed centre. Speaking in November at a meeting of GSU’s council, GSU President, Shane Collins, claimed that “it is disastrous that we don’t have the facilities that a world-class university should have”.

McNulty has consistently pushed for the construction of a student centre since taking office, telling TCDSU’s council in October 2016 that “we should say loudly to the Provost and the university that we want our student space”.

This is not the first time a student centre has been proposed by TCDSU. In February 2011, students rejected a student centre, costed at €40 million, in a referendum. According to Trinity News, TCDSU President at the time Nikolai Trigoub-Rotnem explained that there was confusion among students as to when they would have to start paying the increased student levy of €80, along with other factors leading to the rejection.

McNulty was positive that students will pass the referendum, as so far the feedback from students has been positive.

This discussion follows numerous developments extending student spaces across the College. In September 2016, after campaigning from TCDSU, two new student spaces were opened on campus, in room 4017 in the Arts Block and in the upstairs of the Hamilton building. Then speaking to The University Times, the Dean of Students, Prof Kevin O’Kelly stated that the College, after a push from the union, had seen “an opportunity to find smaller, very inexpensive spaces that we could probably remodel on a much faster timescale” as a proposal for the student centre was still being worked on.

In his officer report submitted to the union’s council, McNulty announced the introduction of microwaves into the student space on the fourth floor of the Arts Block, in room 4017. McNulty stated that an additional space would be provided for students in St James’s hospital, with additional couches being provided for the existing parlour space. He also indicated that he was working to get room 2051 in the Arts Block designated as a student space.

Róisín Power contributed reporting to this piece.