Trinity’s Golfers Look to Year Ahead, After Scottish Tour

The Trinity golf club are expecting a visit from their Scottish competitors over the next year.

Donal MacNameeSports Editor
Dublin University Golf Club

Dublin University Golf Club spent the start of September touring Scotland on their biennial trip to the country. Over the course of the week, the club competed in friendly matches against four Scottish universities, in addition to playing 36 holes at Prestwick Golf Club, home of the first ever Open Championship. The trip was first organised in 2011 by then-captain Darragh Garrahy, and its success meant it has been run every two years ever since. This year, Trinity made contact with the Scottish universities back in April in order to arrange the trip.

In a week which saw them play seven rounds of golf in the same number of days, Trinity’s golfers took on Strathclyde University, Glasgow University, St Andrews University and the University of Edinburgh. Scotland is a country rich in golfing history, and Trinity’s golfers had an alumnus to thank for the round they played at the prestigious Prestwick. Gavin Caldwell, formerly of Trinity, captained the world-renowned Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in 2015/16 and was able to secure a slot on the course for the club.

There was also the small matter of the matches themselves. Trinity were pipped in their first game by Strathclyde University, in an encounter played at Western Gailes Golf Club. Trinity travelled to Cawder Golf Club for their next fixture, where they came up against Glasgow University. This game ended in a 6–6 tie.

Trinity obtained their first – and only – victory of the tour against St Andrews University on the Jubilee Course, claiming the spoils after a match which ended 2.5–1.5. In their final friendly fixture of the week, Trinity faced the University of Edinburgh at Gullane Golf Club in the Scottish capital, losing by one match.

Despite the club’s mixed fortunes on the golf course, club captain Conor O’Mara described the week as “fantastic” in his correspondence with The University Times. The highlight of the trip for Trinity was the round they played at Dundonald Golf Club, a championship course and home of the 2017 Scottish Open. It was doubly satisfying given that they had no plan for that particular day and only obtained a tee time at the course by chance after talking with members of Prestwick Golf Course.

DUGC took most of the financial burden of the trip upon themselves, funding their own flights and accommodation. They expect the cost of their transport and green fees will be covered jointly by Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC) and Dublin University Golfing Society (DUGS). The latter is a club consisting of DUGC alumni.

O’Mara revealed to The University Times that Trinity are expecting visits from both St Andrews University and Glasgow University over the coming year, demonstrating the symbiotic nature of the touring arrangement. DUGC hope to host both universities at Portmarnock Golf Club.