Missed Chances Leaves DUAFC Rueing Another Defeat

A 10-man Trinity side fell to its second defeat in a row, leaving the team with an uphill task to qualify for the second round.

Aaron HannonContributing Writer

An improved performance from last week’s 5-1 thrashing at the hands of Dublin City University (DCU) in the Colleges and Universities Premier Division couldn’t prevent a second group-stage loss for Dublin University Association Football Club (DUAFC) against Maynooth University yesterday. Goals midway through each half from a Maynooth side that dominated in the possession stakes consigned DUAFC to bottom place in the table, with progression from the group stage looking increasingly difficult for the Trinity.

DUAFC started well, enjoying a healthy share of possession in a positive opening 10 minutes. The tide soon changed however, with Maynooth taking control of the ball and the scoreboard midway through the first half. With the home side piling on the pressure, a long ball into the box, accompanied by a sharp touch and exquisite turn, provided Maynooth with the half-chance required to get its reward for consistent efforts on goal.

Continued Maynooth domination for the rest of the half left Trinity heading into the dressing room at half-time seeking a strong second-half response. For the opening period of the second half they delivered, with a far more constructive counter-attacking approach yielding a number of good chances on goal. However, with Maynooth still monopolising possession, avoiding the concession of a second goal began to look increasingly unlikely, and a simple defensive error from DUAFC provided the only chance Maynooth needed to secure a two-goal cushion.

The situation went from bad to worse for Trinity from then on, with Dean Gaynor sent off after picking up a second yellow card late on. An admirable defensive effort with 10 men saw DUAFC manage to keep Maynooth at bay for the rest of the game, offering a small consolation with goal difference set to be an all important factor later on in the group stages.

After a blistering start to their Leinster Senior league campaign, DUAFC will be disappointed with their recent record of losses and will be desperate to get their season back on track next time out.