Record-Breaking Weekend for Dublin University Rifle Club

DURC’s Siobhan Scarlett shot to a new Irish finals record at the weekend, competing in the 25-yard prone discipline

Matthew Murphy Assistant Sports Editor
Siobhan Scarlett being presented with the trophy by Kealan Symes, vice-president of Target Shooting Ireland
DU Rifle Club

Siobhan Scarlett of Dublin University Rifle Club (DURC) set a new Irish finals record in a competition in Wicklow this weekend. Despite numerous sporting events being cancelled by the renewed onslaught of Storm Brian, shooting in Wicklow went ahead.

Competing in the 25-yard prone discipline, her score of 250.7 smashed the previous Irish record of 250.4, which had been held by club stalwart Conor McDermottroe. Scarlett’s score also places her in the top tier of European competitors, breaking the previous European record of 250.6.

Notably, as Ireland lacks many 50-yard ranges, competitors in the 50-yard prone discipline often shoot at a 25-yard distance instead. To allow for this, the targets are scaled down to emulate the 50-yard distance.

Speaking to The University Times by email, club Captain Rowan Austin was glowing in his praise of Scarlett and her achievement: “As someone who has been involved in the club since the day I started, Siobhan has always been someone to look up to. As a society we would not be even close to what what we are today without her persistent commitment to us, and to the sport. Her outstanding performance in the competition reflects exactly the kind of club member and friend she is, and has left us all so proud!”

Scarlett’s success comes on the back of a busy period for DURC, which included several members competing against world-class opposition in last weekend’s Welsh Open. Joseph McDonnell, who was beginning his second year with DURC, displayed significant potential as he narrowly missed out on qualification for finals. Ciara Deevy was pick of the bunch as she reached finals on Saturday and Sunday, where she squared off against stiff competition in the form of a former Olympian, a British champion and two European champions.