Strong Start to the Year for Trinity’s Handballers

Trinity’s handball club claimed four medals, including two golds, in its first tournament of the season.

Barry MurphyContributing Writer
Trinity Handball

Trinity’s handball team achieved widespread success at the Irish Collegiate Handball Association 60×30 Singles tournament, held in Kilkenny this weekend, winning medals in both the men’s and women’s categories.

In the ale divisions, club Captain Conal Cosgrove and team member Lucas Dowling, walked away from the weekend with the Men’s C grade gold and silver medals respectively. Cosgrove defeated opponents from the Institute of Technology Tralee (ITT), University College Dublin and Carlow Institute of Technology on his way to the final, where he met, and ultimately defeated, team mate Dowling, winning by a comfortable score. The quality of performance exhibited by the captain in only his third year playing the sport bodes well for the future of the club.

The tournament also provided ample opportunity to blood new recruits as Eimear Delaney and Michael McAndrew each had successful debuts for Trinity Handball. McAndrew, while making his first appearance in Trinity colours, is no stranger to the sport and broke his way into the Men’s A division by defeating ITT’s Killian Lynch, an impressive feat despite his elimination later in the contest. On the women’s side, Delaney put up a valiant fight, making it to the Women’s B finals, but ultimately being beaten to the gold by Dublin City University’s (DCU) Caoimhe O’Shea.

However, this was not to be Delaney’s last involvement in the tournament. Teaming up with All-Ireland champion Ciara Mahon for the Ladies doubles final, the Trinity girls took silver, second only to DCU’s formidable Meadhbh Ní Dhálaigh and fresher Fiona Tully. Mahon, not content with just the doubles success, faced down Tully again in the Ladies Open final. The remarkable score of 21-10, 21-3 saw Mahon’s reputation reinforced as she brought home the gold.

If these proceedings are to be seen as indicative of the success Trinity might enjoy in the coming Small Alley season, they do not point to complacency within the ranks. Acutely aware of the new talent coming into other colleges, the team is gearing up to put its best foot forward in their next competition, to be held in Wexford in mid-November.