Trinity Camogie Suffers Defeat to St Pat’s in League Opener

It was a tough start to the season for Trinity as the team fell to a heavy defeat despite some strong individual performances.

Róisín O'DonoghueContributing Writer
Last year's team before a game earlier in 2017.
Trinity Camogie

Trinity College Dublin GAA’s camogie team fell to a heavy defeat against St Patrick’s College (St Pat’s) in Santry on Thursday night. The final score of 6-10 to 2-11 perhaps flattered the visitors, but St Pat’s clever use of possession allowed the team to rack up what was in the end a convincing victory.

Trinity started the game on a promising note with opening points from Juliette O’Flynn and Rosanna MacAleese. However, despite some excellent movement off the ball from Niamh Horan, and some skilful hassling from Sabina McLoughlin, St Pat’s quickly took control of the game, scoring a goal and a point in the first quarter.

Trinity continued to tackle hard with Ruth Power and Aoife O’Carroll managing the back line. Some excellent movement from Bronagh Quinn led to a superb point from Louise O’Shea. However, St Pat’s quickly regained possession and scored their second goal of the game.

The hosts continued to push forward, with Naoise Irwan and Hazel Mullen making great use of the wings. O’Shea and MacAleese slotted over two more points but a lack of discipline resulted in a number of frees for the visitors’ competent free-taker.

Despite the score line, it was very much an even battle in the middle of the field, even if St Pat’s impressive off-the-ball movement led to more chances created for the team’s forwards. The score at half-time was 3-08 to 0-5 to St Pat’s.

Trinity showed no sign of being disheartened as the players came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half. Substitute Aisling Maher hit the ground running, ploughing through the St Pat’s defence and hand-passing a goal into the back of their net.

St Pat’s hit back with another two scores from play but Trinity kept up the fight, with Maher scoring a 65 for the red and blacks. MacAleese soon added another point to the scoreboard but St Pat’s was sweeping up some easy ball and creating more scoring chances.

Goalkeeper Kayleigh Veale pulled off a number of excellent saves but St Pat’s pushed through the Trinity defence and found the Trinity net twice more before the end of the game. McLoughlin and Magher registered a point and a goal respectively before the final whistle, but it was not to be for Trinity.

Despite the heavy defeat, there were positives in the Trinity performance. There were some strong tackles from Maher and O’Shea and substitute Heather Doyle refreshed the Trinity side. MacAleese and O’Flynn continued to work hard in the forward line until the end. The team will hope to limit errors and tighten up on discipline in Trinity’s next game against Institute of Technology Carlow next week.