Trinity Squash Suffers Defeats in Men’s and Women’s Leagues

Neither of Trinity's teams managed to secure victory during the week, being overcome by Sutton and Fitzwilliam respectively.

Ellen InceStaff Writer

At Trinity, squash is an established part of the sporting sphere. Trinity College Dublin Squash Racket Club dates back to the mid-1930s, with the first courts being constructed in 1938. The Trinity Team has recently enjoyed the instalment of new squash courts in Trinity Hall.

Monday night saw the men’s team play against Sutton in Division One of the Leinster Senior League. Players from both sides were ranked and took on their opposite number, the team with the higher overall score being awarded victory.

Trinity’s five players put in a great effort but ultimately fell short of success, losing out by three games to two. The deciding game was very tense and turned out to be a very tight affair. The men are struggling compared to last season as they have lost their number one ranked player who graduated last year. That said, everyone is contributing to the team and is always improving. The side will hope to build on Monday’s narrow defeat as they seek to hit a vein of form.

Tuesday night saw Trinity’s Ladies A Team take on Fitzwilliam Ladies A Team in the Premier Division. Despite being scheduled to be played in Trinity Hall, the game was moved to Fitzwilliam at the last minute. Trinity’s team included Tamaki Marumo, Sarah Corcoran, Patricia Ryan and Ruichen Lee. Half this team are alumni of Trinity Squash. The ladies put in a solid performance but narrowly missed out on victory by one point, with Sarah Corcoran and Tamaki Marumo winning their games for the team. With Corcoran and Marumo winning consistently, the team hopes to raise its ranking in the Premier Division this year.

The club is now looking forward to the Squash Colours Event, which will take place in University College Dublin on November 11th where Marumo and her team are determined to come out on top: “We haven’t won colours for a while now. It’s my third year playing in it and I really hope we win”, she told The University Times by email.