An Bord Pleanála Intervention Delays College Green Development

An Bord Pleanála have requested a further stage of public consultation before making a decision on the new development.

Kathleen McNameeNews Editor

After years of planning, the new pedestrian plaza on College Green has been delayed once more after An Bord Pleanála requested more public consultation.

The planning authority was originally supposed to give a decision on the plaza on November 2nd, but requested more time to facilitate an extended period of public consultation.

Several interest groups, including Dublin Bus and businesses in the area, expressed concern in the past over the proposed plans which will see the area pedestrianised and several bus routes being re-routed.

The delay was requested, according to RTE, so An Bord Pleanála could gather more information regarding “the wider city implications of removing traffic from College Green and the adequacy of infrastructure”. This is the second time the authority has asked for more information from the council on this issue. Dublin City Council must now secure more newspaper advertisements requesting submissions. These will be active until November 19th.

Previous plans had seen construction on the plaza starting as early as January 2018, though this may now be delayed with the latest request from An Bord Pleanála. The pedestrianisation of College Green has been of interest to the Trinity community due to its proximity, with the College involved throughout the consultation process.

In a freedom of information request obtained by The University Times in September, concerns were raised by officials with the College about the effect the plaza would have on the Trinity community. Concerns revolved around the increased number of people entering the College, special access for dignitaries and vehicular access to the Provost’s House at Number One Grafton St.

The new development would see College Green turned into a 7,300 square metre pedestrian plaza. The space will be able to fit up to 15,000 people with existing roads remaining only for buses and taxis. The new Luas line will also run just outside the College’s gates.

In letters and emails sent to Dublin City Council, Trinity officials expressed concern about the logistics of such a large change to the environment around the College. Speaking to The University Times previously, Veronica Campbell, Bursar and Director of Strategic Innovation in Trinity, explained that officials were concerned with finding “a balance between the use and the aesthetics of the College plaza”. Despite these concerns, the College has been largely supportive of the changes.