Dublin University Golf Club Claims Impressive Win Over DCU

Dublin University Golf Club secured a hard-fought victory over a strong DCU team in testing conditions over the weekend

Matthew MurphyAssistant Sports Editor

Dublin University Golf Club (DUGC) marched to a tremendous 9-6 victory over an excellent Dublin City University (DCU) team over the weekend. The tie held the notable distinction of being the first annual matchup between the sides. Taking place in windy conditions at the Island Course, home to the DCU side, DUGC’s first team handled the challenge expertly in securing a valuable victory.

DUGC’s 10-man strong team was led by club captain Conor O’Mara, and his side showcased ruthless versatility in besting DCU over the course of 10 singles matches and five fourball rounds. Having laid down an impressive marker, Trinity will host the return leg in Portmarnock Golf Club in the new year, with DCU sure to be on the lookout for revenge.

Speaking to The University Times by email following the match, club captain Conor O’Mara was encouraged by the team’s success. “I am really excited about the year ahead, that was a strong DCU side and to get win in their home course sets us up really well for the year ahead. We have good balanced team this year and I feel we can strive for great success throughout the year.”

With the fixtures coming thick and fast for the club, next up for DUGC is an away trip to Lahinch this weekend. The top eight players will travel to compete for the Bunbury Shield against the Lahinch Senior Cup side in what promises to be a memorable weekend.