DUFC’s Jack Dunne Included in Leinster Senior Squad

Dunne was named on the bench for Leinster's senior squad, who will be taking on Scarlets this weekend.

Cormac WatsonSports Editor

Jack Dunne, of Dublin University Football Club (DUFC), has been named on the bench for the Leinster senior team’s PRO14 clash against Scarlets tomorrow in the RDS.

Leinster currently sit top of Conference B of PRO14 with a commanding lead and are 20 points ahead of Scarlets who are in fourth place.

In an email statement to The University Times, DUFC captain Colm Hogan said: “Jack’s a real leader in the group and this opportunity is one he has worked extremely hard for and deserves. We’re sure he’ll represent the club well as always.”

This week has also seen five Trinity players – Rob Russell, Liam Turner, Ryan Baird, Thomas Clarkson and Giuseppe Coyne – called up to the under-20 Irish Six Nations squad. The squad will begin their campaign against England on February 1st, before taking on Scotland in Netherdale on February 8th.

In an email statement to The University Times last week, Coyne said: “I am delighted to have been selected to represent the Ireland Under 20s. Trinity Rugby has really helped me to achieve this goal and it’s especially exciting that four of my club team mates have also made the squad.”

DUFC have had some great performances this season, but have seen a lull in performances in recent weeks, suffering three defeats in a row. A defeat against Lansdowne last weekend has seen them drop down to seventh position in the AIL.

This Saturday they take on Clontarf in College Park who are currently in third position. DUFC managed to outmuscle Clontarf by four points in December.