Trinity Professors to Nominate Mary McAleese for Trinity Chancellorship

The Irish Times is reporting that former president of Ireland Mary McAleese is likely to succeed Mary Robinson as Trinity's Chancellor.

Donal MacNameeEditor

Former President of Ireland Mary McAleese is likely to succeed Mary Robinson as Trinity’s new Chancellor, the Irish Times reported today.

Last week, The University Times reported that College hopes to have a new Chancellor in place by Christmas, after the end of Mary Robinson’s term in office in June. McAleese, according to the Irish Times, is in line to succeed Robinson, with senior academics in Trinity planning to nominate her for the role.

McAleese said it would be “entirely inappropriate” for her to comment on the rumours that she will take over as the head of the University of Dublin, of which Trinity is the only constituent college.

But Prof David McConnell, a Pro-Chancellor of Trinity and a fellow emeritus of genetics, told the Irish Times he would “be very anxious to nominate” McAleese.

Senator Ivana Bacik, a Reid Professor of criminal law in Trinity, said to the Irish Times that McAleese would be a “superb candidate for chancellor”.

McConnell said: “My understanding is she would be happy to be nominated. I believe she would accept a nomination, which would be wonderful from our point of view. I am not aware of any other name being canvassed.”

McAleese, McConnell said, is one of the “most significant figures of the last 50 years”.

As Chancellor, McAleese would preside over ceremonial occasions in the College such as commencement ceremonies, and officiate at honorary degree ceremonies.

The Chancellor’s other responsibilities include interpreting the College Statutes and hearing appeals against decisions of the College Board.

Earlier this month, Aoife Crawford, the Administrative Officer in Trinity’s Secretary’s Office, said in an email to The University Times that “the process to appoint a new Chancellor (and two new Pro-Chancellors) will be conducted in Michaelmas term and a new Chancellor is expected to be in place before Christmas”.

The university senate – made up of members of staff, senators in Seanad Éireann and Fellows Emeritus and Honorary Fellows – votes on the new chancellor. Candidates must receive at least 12 nominations in order to be considered.

McAleese served as Ireland’s president from 1997 until 2011. She currently lectures in children, law and religion at the University of Glasgow.