DUFC’s Rowan Osborne on Bench for Leinster PRO14 Clash

Osborne, who was on trial with Leinster over the summer, could make his senior debut when the side take on Ospreys tomorrow night.

Fiachra GallagherSports Editor
Rowan Osborne in action against Lansdowne last year.
Michael O'Brien

Rowan Osbourne, of Dublin University Football Club (DUFC), has been included in the matchday squad for Leinster’s Guinness PRO14 clash with Ospreys tomorrow night at the RDS.

Osbourne has been named on the bench, and is expected to make his senior debut.

The scrum-half, who was on trial with Leinster over the summer, impressed in a pre-season friendly against Coventry. He has also featured in the Celtic Cup, representing Leinster A.

Osbourne was a regular starter for DUFC last season, playing a key role in the team’s journey to the semi-finals of the All-Ireland League (AIL) Division 1A. He won the man-of-the-match award for his display against University College Dublin (UCD) in DUFC’s Colours victory last April.

Osbourne, now in his fifth year with DUFC, is one of the most experienced squad members at DUFC.

The engineering student has previously represented Leinster at under-20 level. He has also played for Clongowes, Ireland under-18 schools and the Irish Universities team.

Speaking to The University Times in August 2019, DUFC attack coach Hugh McGuire noted that the Rugby World Cup would present opportunities to players at the fringes of the Leinster squad. Given the absence of Leinster Irish internationals, academy players have a chance to make an impact with the senior team.

Leinster defeated Italian side Benetton Rugby 32-27 in their first PRO14 match of the season last weekend.

DUFC will be without Osbourne as they face their first test in the new season of the AIL. Trinity take on University College Cork (UCC) in their opening tie of the league on Saturday, at 2.30pm in College Park.