Ex-DUFC Scrum-Half Rowan Osborne Signs with Munster

Osborne is set to join on a one-year contract after spending two years with Leinster.

Charlie Moody-StuartDeputy Sports Editor

Former Dublin University Football Club (DUFC) men’s scrum half, Rowan Osborne, is set to leave Leinster to join Munster on a one-year contract at the start of the 2021/22 season.

Osborne has played professionally for Leinster since 2019.

The arrival of the 24-year-old Kildare man will see Munster scrum half Nick McCarthy move in the opposite direction as part of the deal.

It was from DUFC that Osborne first joined Leinster, having been recommended by DUFC head coach Tony Smeeth and Noel McNamara.

Osbourne expressed gratitude for the role DUFC played in his development, saying in a tweet: “I would like to thank @DUFCRUGBY for the big part they played in my development. Without their help, these opportunities would not have come about.”

Once joining Leo Cullen’s side, he went on to make 10 appearances for them, scoring his first try off the bench in his second appearance during the six try defeat of Edinburgh.

“I’m delighted to be joining Munster next season, one of the biggest clubs in Europe with a great fan base and history”, Osborne said of the move.

“I am hugely looking forward to working with and learning from a really talented group of players and a great coaching ticket and working hard to help bring success to the club.”

The switch will see him leave a Leinster side who are the reigning champions of the Pro 14, and upon whose roster is fellow ex-DUFC teammate Ryan Baird. Osborne won two Pro 14 titles during his spell, back-to-back with one in 2019-20 and the other this season.

He joins a Munster side who finished as runners up to Leinster in this year’s championship.

DUFC have not been permitted to play games since October when it was announced by Irish Rugby that teams in the Energia Community Series are no longer exempt from level-three restrictions. Up until then the team was in top form having gone undefeated through their first five games.

It was today announced that outdoor training for adults can take place in pods of 15 from May 10th. The government will allow outdoor sports matches from June 7th, but with no spectators.