Queen’s to Return to Online Learning in January

The change comes in response to rising case numbers in Northern Ireland.

Mairead MaguireDeputy Editor

Queen’s University Belfast will move most classes online next semester as a “precautionary measure”, citing concerns over the rise in coronavirus cases.

BBC News has reported that the decision to pause in-person teaching was made “having reviewed the developing public health situation and taken clinical advice”.

In an email to students, Queen’s said that “the majority of lectures, tutorials and seminars will be delivered online” from Monday, January 10th.

Some classes such as laboratory practicals may still be held in person out of necessity, the email said.

Classes already scheduled for the week before will go ahead in person as planned.

Students will be contacted by their respective departments about arrangements for examinations to be held after January 10th.

Trinity has not yet indicated whether it will reduce the amount of face-to-face teaching next semester.

College faced backlash from some students for its decision to hold exams in the RDS this semester.

An open letter to Harris and Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly calling for all Christmas exams to be held online amassed more than 5,000 signatures.

Written by Trinity College Dublin Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) President Gisèle Scanlon and Students4Change Chair László Molnárfi, the letter raised concerns about the impact of in-person exams on student safety and mental health.

Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris has said his department will not advise Colleges in the republic on in-person exams, leaving the decision up to each institution.

Speaking in the Seanad earlier this month, independent Senator Alice Mary Higgins said she had been contacted by students from several institutions about the issue and called on colleges to give them the option to sit exams remotely.

“Insisting on in-person exams in crowded exam halls is unnecessary and we should not take any unnecessary risks”, she said.

Labour Senator Annie Hoey said in a video posted to Twitter that students who sat lectures in exam halls “at full capacity” felt unsafe.

Exams held in the RDS had students socially distanced, with the venue at less than 50 per cent capacity.

Upcoming Foundation Scholarship (Schols) exams could be held online if public health restrictions change.

A memo was circulated to the Trinity Living with COVID committee outlining the proposed plans.

The memo said that while restrictions are unlikely to change between now and January 10th, when the exams are scheduled to begin, provisions should be made for the exams to move online if public health guidelines change and in-person sittings are not allowed.

It also provides for students who cannot sit the exams on the day if they are a confirmed or a suspected case of coronavirus or a close contact of a confirmed case.