Santa and his Reindeer Immune to COVID-19, Say Trinity Researchers

Children can rest assured tonight that their presents will be delivered safely.

Seán CahillDeputy News Editor

Santa and his reindeer have strong immune systems that will keep them safe from coronavirus, a team of Trinity immunologists have found.

Children around the world can rest assured that their presents will be safely delivered tonight.

Professor of Comparative Immunology at Trinity Cliona O’Farrelly, who led the research, has said that Santa’s immune system produces “santibodies” which protect him from viruses. However, the scientists were unable to confirm the exact mechanism of Santa’s powerful immune response because they did not want to interrupt his busy schedule.

Some people can avoid becoming infected even after several exposures to coronavirus. The research team believes Santa is one of these individuals, whose immune systems deploy defence mechanisms as soon as a virus enters their body.

In a press statement, O’Farrelly said: “We have been thinking about Santa and COVID for quite some time, knowing that many children might be worried that he might catch the virus on his huge journey on Christmas Eve.”

“We are very confident that Santa has an amazing immune system that is able to resist dozens of viruses, as one might expect for a man that has made the seemingly impossible possible for hundreds of years”, she said. “All this time he has remained very fit, healthy and jolly.”

She continued: “We would expect him to have lots of little helpers inside as well as outside – these would be helper T cells which help his immune system make lots of ‘Santibodies’, which bind on to viruses and prevent them from infecting Santa.”

The team were also concerned with the immune systems of Santa’s reindeer. They stated that reindeer have “super duper” immune systems which should easily protect them from the coronavirus.

Jamie Sugrue, a PhD candidate in the comparative immunology group in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, explained that “scientists from the Arctic University in Norway are working on antler asymmetry and immunity in reindeer, and it seems that reindeer with bigger, more elaborate antlers, also have better immune systems”.

“We all know that Santa’s reindeer have the best antlers of all, so we are very confident that they have excellent immune systems which will protect them against any infection.”

“Santa – the wise man that he is – also made sure that his reindeer all rested well, fed well, and exercised lots over their 11-month break, so that their immune systems are in really good shape”, Sugrue said. They have been getting plenty of Arctic Sun, too, so their Vitamin D levels are high, which is really important for a healthy immune system for everyone, he said.”

Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has also confirmed that Santa is exempt from coronavirus restrictions and can visit houses all around the world.

Last year, Trinity scientists said that Santa uses quantum mechanics to enable him to visit homes all around the world in a single night.