Trinity to Close Tomorrow in Line With Government Advice

Storm Barra is set to hit Ireland early tomorrow, with Dublin under an orange wind warning.

Emer MoreauEditor

Trinity will close tomorrow following advice from the Department of Higher Education as Storm Barra makes landfall.

Trinity’s Head of Communications Tom Molloy confirmed to The University Times this evening that College would close on Tuesday in line with the advice.

Students will be emailed shortly about the closure. A further update will be given tomorrow afternoon and students are being asked to monitor social media for the latest updates.

The ceremony to confer five honorary degrees will not go ahead tomorrow, Molloy said. Registrar Neville Cox told invitees in an email that the ceremony will instead be held on Wednesday, December 8th.

The Department of Higher Education has said that universities and colleges in counties currently under a red alert or orange warning should not open tomorrow.

Storm Barra is set to hit Ireland early tomorrow, with orange warnings in place for most coastal counties, including Dublin, and red alerts in place for Cork, Kerry and Clare.

A statement from the department this evening said: “Met Éireann has advised that there is a strong possibility that the status of parts of these counties currently in status Orange are likely to change and escalate to status Red.”

“Due to the significant nature of Storm Barra, as forecast by Met Éireann and to give sufficient notice to institutions of further and higher education, the department is advising that all universities, colleges and further education facilities covered by the Red Alert and Orange warning from Met Éireann should not open tomorrow, 7 December.”

A red wind warning is issued when consistent wind speeds in excess of 80 kilometres per hour and gusts in excess of 130 kilometres per hour are forecast, and conditions are considered life-threatening for those who venture out in it.

The statement said: “All third level institutions should keep up-to-date with the current weather warnings which are carried on all national and local news bulletins and in particular any change in the status warning for their area.”

Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris wrote on Twitter: “In short, the Department is advising that any third level facility in a red alert or orange warning area should not open tomorrow.”

Areas with an orange warning could see gusts of up to 130km.

Primary and secondary schools in 12 counties have been advised to close tomorrow.

Met Éireann’s Head of Forecasting Evelyn Cusack said local authorities and emergency services were preparing for the “significant and severe weather event” which will start before dawn tomorrow morning.

Met Éireann has advised that people take action to protect themselves and their properties. The warning for Cork and Kerry will be in effect from 6am to 9pm on Tuesday. The alert in Clare will be valid from 4pm on Tuesday until 1am on Wednesday.

A status red marine storm warning will also be in effect for Irish coastal waters from north Mayo to Cork city.