USI Launches Campaign to Promote Spiking Awareness

The USI has teamed up with Minister for Justice Helen McEntee and Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris to promote the campaign.

David O'ConnellJunior Editor

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) has launched a campaign to combat spiking, with the backing of Minister for Justice Helen McEntee and Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris.

The campaign aims to teach students how to recognise if a drink has been spiked and how to help a friend who has been spiked.

The USI is working with the nightlife industry and student unions around the country on plans to make venues safer by looking at actions such as training for staff, monitors looking out for incidents of spiking and bag and person searches.

USI President Clare Austick and Vice President for Welfare Somhairle Brennan participated in a video call with Minister Simon Harris TD and Minister Helen McEntee TD this morning to discuss the issue.

In a press statement, Brennan, said: “It is the responsibility of venues and clubs to work to keep their patrons safe and to build spaces that protect their partygoers. However, that should happen in conjunction with organisations such as USI, SUs and other welfare organisations to inform people about these issues as much as possible. And it is the job of Government and the Gardai to treat these crimes seriously.”

Brennan added: “Today’s launch sees the roll out of information for students on the various aspects of spiking and to support people to help friends that are the victims of spiking. We know from research that students want the knowledge to help their friends who disclose that they have been the victim of an act such as spiking. We also want to ensure those that have suffered know that this is a serious criminal act, no matter the intent of the person spiking, and that you deserve support, to be heard and for it to be investigated, if that is what you want.”

“The Government recognition we are receiving today shows that spiking is serious and that there is a will to support people and address the issue.”

McEntee said in a press statement: ““Spiking a person’s drink is a very serious act. It is classified as poisoning, which is a criminal offence. This offence alone can lead to a three-year prison term.”

“Whatever your motivation, spiking someone is a crime with serious potential consequences for victim and perpetrator”, the minister said. “Anyone who may have been a victim of a spiking or a witness – to a drink being spiked or to an assault or sexual assault – is urged to report it to the Gardaí.”

Harris said: “When I met student leaders recently, they raised concerns with me about reports of incidents of spiking, and we take these concerns very seriously. That is why we are working together to launch a campaign on the dangers and illegality of spiking.”

“We want everyone – from those using nightlife, to those working in it – to be aware of the signs and to take action when they are causes for concern. It is important everyone is equipped with the tools to act if you are targeted by this crime or a witness of it.”