One Amicable Council is Not a Quick Fix for TCDSU’s Problems

At council last Tuesday, a discussion item on respect within the union prompted members to commit to more civil discourse.

At the last Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) council meeting, there was a noticeable shift in atmosphere. When a discussion item was raised about respect within the union, numerous attendees jumped up to give their two cents. Speakers generally agreed that sufficient respect had not been extended to people presenting opposing views at council, discouraging would-be contributors to discourse for fear of being shouted down.

Much of the recent frustrations among council members stem from the tedium of particular motions or discussion items. The platform that the union provides is important, but it shouldn’t be abused.

And while it is understandable that lengthy councils can get frustrating and not everyone will agree – nor should they – there is a line that must not be crossed. TCDSU representatives should not resort to offensive quips for a cheap laugh in the Ed Burke or a few likes on Twitter and consider this problem solved. Personal and private accounts are used to share offensive jokes, directly or indirectly making fun of members, and it needs to stop. There is a culture developing at council where members appear to forget that they are accountable for their words, even when written behind a screen.

If council believes that anyone in the union is being bullied, it should make it clear that such behaviour is unacceptable and that bullies will be held accountable. If members are wasting time at council, that’s a separate issue that should be discussed respectfully.

The ostracisation of members who dare to present alternative views should be deeply worrying to TCDSU, the purpose of which is to represent all students. The lack of desire for meaningful debate shows a union not amply concerned with a fair and democratic process.

Even if all was well at the end of Tuesday’s meeting, one amicable council does not make a harmonious union. It’s also hard to ignore the fact that sabbatical elections are just around the corner and those running will likely be questioned about the perceived toxicity in the union and their role in creating a culture of respect or tolerance – or lack thereof.