Neal Manning Withdraws from Editor Bye Election

Manning's withdrawal leaves two candidates, Mairead Maguire and Ailbhe Noonan.

Emer MoreauEditor
Emer Moreau for The University Times

Engineering student Neal Manning has withdrawn from the bye election for Editor of The University Times.

This leaves the race with two candidates – Mairead Maguire, the paper’s Deputy Editor, and Ailbhe Noonan, the Deputy Radius Editor.

In an email statement to The University Times, Adam Balchin, the chair of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union’s (TCDSU) Electoral Commission, confirmed that Manning had withdrawn. “We wish Neal all the best in his academic endeavors”, Balchin said.

Campaigning begins on Monday, April 4th and closes on April 7th. Voting will open on April 6th and will close when the campaign ends.

There will be one hustings event for the bye election, taking place prior to council on Tuesday, April 5th. The EC will ask candidates questions from “a variety of sectors of the College community”, Balchin said. Attendees will also have the opportunity to question candidates on the night.

Noonan is a third-year English student and is the paper’s Deputy Radius Editor. She previously held the position of Theatre Editor. She is also chair of the Robinson Committee in the College Historical Society (the Hist) and was a pro-correspondence secretary in the Hist last year. She is a member of Trinity Singers.

Maguire is a third-year history and politics student. She is the current Deputy Editor of The University Times, having previously served as News Editor and Societies Editor. She also sat on the TCDSU welfare committee last year. She was an intern with the Trinity Disability Service last year.