TCDSU Breached USI Anti-War Stance by Supporting Ukraine Protest

A graphic about the protest said that Irish neutrality 'is not an option'.

Seán CahillDeputy News Editor

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Leah Keogh has conceded that the union’s support of a protest against the Russian invasion of Ukraine amounted to a breach of the anti-war stance of the Union of Students in Ireland (USI).

A graphic promoting the protest posted on Instagram by the Eastern European Society, which organised the protest, said that it was protesting for “Russia to cease [its] invasion of Ukraine” and for “Ireland to recognise that neutrality is not an option”.

Keogh said at a TCDSU town hall this evening that the union’s support for the protest was “absolutely a breach” of this stance, which was adopted by USI this year.

The issue was raised in a discussion item submitted by second-year PPES class representative László Molnárfi. He criticised TCDSU’s decision to support a protest against neutrality: “Advocating for this is a travesty, careless and will drag Ireland into the EU’s increasing militarisation. The union’s leadership should have taken care before carelessly supporting such a demand.”

TCDSU held an impromptu town hall this evening instead of a council meeting, after council did not reach quorum and could not hold any votes.

Responding to Molnárfi, Keogh said: “The protest we supported was on the Friday after Russia invaded Ukraine. It was organised by the Eastern European Society and they came to us asking for support and, of course, in good faith we did.”

“We did attend the protest and it was a great protest but it was an oversight”, she said. “I imagine the Oversight Commission will pull us up on that very soon and you’d be well within your rights to.”

“The point I’m making more generally, on this one, is that we have to make decisions quickly in these roles. If we are to stand in solidarity with the students”, she added.

Introducing his discussion item, Molnárfi said: “On the 25th of February, a day after Russia invaded Ukraine, the TCDSU supported a protest that proclaimed itself against the concept of Irish neutrality. This was done without the consultation of the union’s membership, and this was a unilateral decision.”

“We’ve seen the destruction that non-neutral countries have brought upon other countries. Being neutral, it doesn’t mean not providing humanitarian assistance. Being neutral doesn’t mean we don’t take sides in some way.”

“But Irish neutrality is a very important and very cherished institution and we need to be more measured,” he added.

Molnarfi’s discussion item also claimed that the union’s support for the protest was a breach of article 1.4 of its constitution, which states that the union must pursue its objectives independent of any political ideology. The Oversight Commission has yet to rule whether it is, in fact, a breach.

Correction: 10.42pm, March 29th, 2022
An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that TCDSU President Leah Keogh said the union’s support for a protest of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was a breach of the union’s constitution. In fact, Keogh said it breached an anti-war motion passed by the Union of Students in Ireland (USI), of which TCDSU is a member.

Jody Druce also contributed reporting to this article.