Trinity Taking ‘Whole-College Approach’ to Ukraine Response

Trinity’s front facade is lit up in the Ukrainian colours this evening in solidarity with those affected by what College has called a 'brutal invasion'.

Faye MaddenStaff Writer
Emer Moreau for The University Times

Trinity’s front facade has been lit up in the Ukrainian colours this evening in solidarity with those affected by what Provost Linda Doyle has called a “brutal invasion”.

First-year BESS student Maksym Tieriekhov and second-year European studies student Dara Lesniak, who are both Ukrainian, switched on the lights this evening.

Both students’ families are in Ukraine. Tieriekhov said his father had joined the army and Lesniak said her whole family was “actively involved” in the fight.

In an email to staff and students today, Doyle and Vice President for Global Engagement Emma Stokes said that some 18 Trinity students are currently in Russia and arrangements are being made for those who wish to leave.

Trinity is taking a “whole-College approach” to assist those affected by the invasion, involving multiple units including Academic Registry, the Student Counselling Service and the Senior Tutor’s Office.

College will also “evaluate our existing partnerships with academic institutions in Russia”.

The email said: “We have no students in Ukraine, but we have students from Ukraine in Trinity who have been experiencing incredible anxiety and distress.”

All students in Trinity who list Ukraine as their nationality were invited to a meeting over the weekend with the Vice President for Global Engagement, the International Student Experience manager, the President of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and the Pro Senior Tutor.

“During this meeting we discussed the practical supports they require and we are responding to these needs. The Pro Senior Tutor has, in turn, contacted all College tutors that have students in their chambers from impacted countries. A WhatsApp group has also been created to facilitate daily communication with the students.”

“Our immediate priority has been our students and staff”, it said.

“The Trinity Global team has been holding daily meetings for the 18 students in Russia and assisting with travel arrangements and other support needs for those who are leaving Moscow and St Petersburg. In addition, the Senior Lecturer has been liaising with the academic departments of these students to ensure their academic journey is not adversely impacted by their departure from Russia. We are also liaising with the relevant embassies and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.”

“We have also contacted students in Trinity who list Russia as their nationality. The VP for Global Engagement and members of the Trinity Global team met with these students on Monday.”

The email continued: “We must remember that many Russian people do not support the actions of the Russian Federation and are also deeply affected by the invasion and events arising from it. They too are experiencing stress and anxiety. We are providing support to these students and will continue to do so for as long as it is required.”

“Trinity staff are also impacted. We have people of both Ukrainian and Russian nationality working in Trinity and this is a difficult time for them all.”

Heads of Schools and School managers have been contacted to ensure that staff who need support such as counselling can access it.

“More supports may be needed and we will endeavour to provide these wherever we can. As always, we are committed to ensuring the College is an environment where all our staff are supported and treated with dignity”, the two said.

The Provost has established a Global Incident Response Unit within Trinity Global, which will co-ordinate College’s response to this crisis, and to future international crises. Students and staff can send ideas and suggestions with this unit by emailing [email protected].

“At an institutional level, Trinity is also responding. In the coming days, as the precise needs become clearer, we will be in a better position to offer supports which are genuinely useful.”

“Trinity is a University of Sanctuary and is part of the Scholars at Risk network. A team will meet this week to develop a tangible response. We will support the needs of our existing students who may have difficulty returning home in the months ahead, and we will examine other meaningful supports.”

“We will evaluate our existing partnerships with academic institutions in Russia.”

The email also noted that the Irish Red Cross is now advising the public not to send goods for donation: “It is important that what we do is genuinely useful.”

“Finally, we thank the many members of the Trinity community who have been working quietly but effectively over recent days to respond to this brutal invasion. This is a moment of crisis but it is also a moment of solidarity. From tonight, the front of Trinity College Dublin will be lit in the Ukrainian colours.”